Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Devastation

This week has brought another tragedy, the mass shooting at Virginia Tech. My heart goes out to the other people who were shot and wounded, the families of those people, and to all students, faculty, and others associated with the school. It is a sad, sad day. You will remain in my thoughts for a long time. I cannot imagine what you are going through.

I also am shocked to find out the shooter was from South Korea. It is something I know is breaking the heart of every generous, loving Korean right now, as they will surely see it as shameful, although there are crazy people and violent people in every culture. Koreans tend to feel and respect the overall sense of a Korean community no matter where the Koreans are. So I know this is a shock to Koreans everywhere, as it is to all of us.

It is also tragic to see this happen with an international student, and I worry what this will mean for international students coming here to study in the future. I worry what the general public will think, and I hope this does not promote xenophobia in our society. What happened is appalling and heartbreaking, but there are dangerous loners in every society. It was an isolated incident with a very, very disturbed young man.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Virginia Tech and its community.

No comments: